Sunday, March 27, 2005

Happy Easter.

That problem I told you about earlier in the week turned out to be strep throat. I was supposed to travel with my folks and a sister to Fargo for the Easter celebration, but because I'm apparently ultra-contagious for 24 hours once I begin taking the penicillin, they made the decision to quarantine me inside my house instead of risking exposure to 30 family members. Sorry I couldn't be there, everyone. Your continuted health may depend on keeping my lack of it away from you.

Before I go pin down the couch for another few hours, I wanted to tell you a little bit about what Easter means to me these days, because the significance hasn't always been something I've taken seriously.

Jesus rose from the grave today, 3 days after dying for you and me and everyone else who has and who will ever live. Why'd He do it? It certainly wasn't because we deserve it. As a matter of fact, I took advantage of that grace for most of my life. Fortunately for me, even though there is nothing we can do to deserve His unwarranted grace, there's also nothing we can do to fall out of that grace. I'd rather not take advantage of His grace anymore, when treating it with the seriousness it deserves unchained things in me that I would have never been able to unchain myself. And I tried. Some people think Christianity is about not being able to do things that you want to do. I've found it to be about freeing me from the things that don't do anything for me.

In a strange paradox, the best thing I ever did for myself was place my complete faith and trust for the direction of my life in someone else. Finally realizing He had a better plan for my life than I could ever dream, I decided to get with the program and work with Him instead of against. I wish I'd have done it sooner.

Have a Happy Easter. It's a day of celebration and a day that makes Christianity unique. My God lives.

free web counters
Blue Nile Diamonds