Wednesday, December 01, 2004

My chat with the Gipper's son.

Michael Reagan is sending me an autographed copy of his new book. Nice! I called his radio show yesterday and told him that "I want to be the first person to wish you a Merry Christmas." Turns out that I was. He thought it funny and offered a me a copy of his new book, "Twice Adopted." With wit, I asked if he'd sign it. "Indeed!" he grinned.

So, this morning I went to his website. With pockets full of pride at my once-in-a-lifetime feat, I wanted to find out more about the upcoming treasure to be delivered by UPS, FED/EX, USPS, DHL, Donkey, Mule or Pony Express. Just as I'm day-dreaming about what it would be like to be the only kid on the block with an autographed book from the Gipper's son, I was met with dismay to learn that anyone brandishing $26 can get Michael's John Hancock, too.

Pride began to leak out of my pockets and pool in my size 16's [ok, 11's]. For about 9 and a half hours I thought I had accomplished something grand, only to deflate upon learning that for little more than a couple dozen bucks, I could have saved myself 14 minutes of hold time and a tri-peat of my name, spelling and address. [To his screener: Yes, my name is Chachi. No, it isn't my real name. Yes, like Joni loves. Yes, like Happy Days.] The sweet pain of being me. But then again, had I not called him on the 30th of November, I may not have been The First to Wish Michael Reagan a Merry Christmas in '04.

It suits my ego just fine that soon I'll have documented proof.

Thanks again for your generosity, Mr. Reagan. I appreciate your early holiday spirit of giving and I look forward to reading your new book. You and yours are continually in my prayers. Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, Happy Valentine's Day and Happy Easter, too.

free web counters
Blue Nile Diamonds